Monday, April 20, 2009

My Flowers and Quilt

The rainy season should be ending and it's starting to get a little hotter in the house these days. We are finalizing our plans for the trip to the Big Island to celebrate my big 3-0. We go May 6-10. We got a room at the Sheraton (South Kona) for the first night with an amazing Kama'aina discount, which is one of the main reasons I got a Hawaiian driver's license! The other nights we got a military cottage on the volcano. Rex got me the new iPhone 3G for my bday so we'll be putting it to the test while we're there. It should help with finding places to eat, other things to do. On the agenda are a snorkel cruise to Captain Cook, green beach, black beach, volcanoes, waterfalls, then we come home and poor Rex immediately has field training for a week! HA! I'll probably be sleeping while he's out working hard... and updating this blog with photos, of course!

I'm down to my last vial of allergy shot serum. That means 11 shots before maintenance phase. I'm pretty excited about it. It's nice to be able to breathe even when the cats sleep on me.

Rex and I went to Waimea Falls last Saturday because it rained all day Friday and we knew it would be huge. Here's a flower I thought Mom would like to see that wasn't blooming when she was here...

And this is MY very own, still living, plumeria! The other one is really leafing out this week and the mom of a teen I tutor is giving me a cutting from her red one next time I'm at her house.
I decided I wanted to learn to make a traditional Hawaiian quilt while living here, but I couldn't find a pattern I liked so I designed this one with the Honu (turtle) and coral combo. Rex designed the plumeria flowers in their backs, the rest is all me! Since Arnold Schwarzenegger the Tortlenator died I thought the turtles would be nice. When it is finished it will be a wall hanging above our "bar" by the living room. Hopefully the crazy pacific sun won't fade it too quickly there. Or maybe the hallway would be safer.... Either way, Isabella Rossellini enjoys watching me work. Everytime I pull the thread through I have to fight her for it!




No comments:

Post a Comment